Sometimes buying all organic food isn’t an option – whether due to price or lack of availability. What to do? Shop smarter! Know what foods you MUST buy organic.
Here’s a quick guide to the foods most laden with toxic pesticides in 2010. When all else fails, SHOP LOCAL. Locally grown fruits and vegetables are a safer bet than those grown in far-away lands that have been picked too early and shipped thousands of miles by dirty diesel ships to reach your local grocery. Without further ado, the dirty dozen.
- Without protective skin, you can’t wash off the pesticides on this crunchy veggie.
- 62 nasty pesticides have been detected on these delicately skinned fruits. Yuk!
- Imported = dirty. Even domestic berries can be laced with up to 62 different different pesticides.
- 42 different pesticides detected on these cruncherifous fruits.
- Alas, this berry is treated with as many as 52 pesticides!
- Along with apples and peaches, nectarines are the dirtiest tree fruit.
7. Bell Peppers
- Tests have found 49 pesticides on these sweet delights.
- My beloved leafy green is one of the most contaminated with as many as 48 different pesticides.
- Usually a hardier veggie, in 2010 it had lots of pesticide residue.
- Gov’t testing has found 42 different pesticides on cherries.
- America’s favorite veggie can be laced with as many as 37 different pesticides.
12. Imported Grapes
- Domestic good; imported bad.
There you have it. Buyer beware! Know what you’re putting into your temple and those of your family. A smarter shopper is a healthier human!
Thank you to The Daily Green for providing the above information. Click here to learn more.
Tags: cooking show, earth friendly, eco, EcoRico, environment, fruit, Giselle Achecar, green, healthy lifestyle, healthy recipes, lifestyle, organic, organic cooking, organic food, organic recipes, recipes, vegetables