Please welcome back Style Essentials Guest Blogger, Lisa D’Ligouri, an eco-cosmetics expert. Lisa has been kind enough to provide us info on that necessity of necessities – lipstick. My mother won’t leave home without it. So read on EcoRicans. Know what you’re putting on your skin! It can be scary stuff.
Just what is a natural, safe lipstick?
Let’s begin with what lipstick is.
Lipsticks are essentially oils, waxes, emollients & colorants, poured into a mold. Simple as that.
But what’s in them? What are you putting on your luscious lips then ingesting? Let’s do a comparison between two lipsticks. The first is a drugstore brand; the second, a lipstick sold at Style Essentials.
Ingredients in a typical Cover Girl Lipstick:
• Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil – OIL, NATURALLY DERIVED
• Lanolin Oil – OIL, ANIMAL ORIGIN
• Polybutene – PLASTICIZERS, SYNTHETICALLY DERIVED FROM PETROL
• Petrolatum – OIL, SYNTHETICALLY DERIVED FROM PETROL
• Ozokerite – WAX, MAY BE SYNTHETICALLY OR NATURALLY DERIVED
• Oleyl Alcohol – WAX, MAY BE ANIMAL DERIVED
• Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate – QUESTIONABLE SUNSCREEN
• Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax – WAX, PLANT DERIVED
• Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate – SYNTHETIC, SKIN CONDITIONER
• Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil – OIL
• Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol – OIL, ANIMAL SOURCE CHEMICALLY MODIFIED
• Paraffin – WAX, SYNTHETIC, PETROL
• Cetyl Alcohol – EMOLIANT, PLANT OR ANIMAL BASED
• Glyceryl Oleate – EMOLIANT
• Ascorbyl Palmitate – VITAMIN C DERIVED, ANTI-OXIDANT
• Fragrance – SYNTHETIC, MOST LIKELY CONTAINS PHTHALATES WHICH ARE CONSIDERED HORMONE DISRUPTERS
• Propylene Glycol – CONDITIONER, KNOWN IRRITANT & SYNTHETICALLY DERIVED
• Propylparaben – SYNTHETIC PRESERVATIVE, CONSIDERED TO BE A CANCER RISK
• Tocopheryl Acetate – VITAMIN E, PRESERVATIVE
• Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) – WAX, PLANT DERIVED & GIVES GLOSSY FINISH
• Cocoa Butter – OIL, PLANT BASED
• Candelilla Wax – WAX, PLANT BASED
• Castor Oil – OIL, PLANT BASED
• Meadowfoam Seed Oil – OIL & PLANT BASED PRESERVATIVE
• Sesame Oil – OIL, PLANT BASED
• Avocado Butter – OIL, PLANT BASED
• Macademia Nut Oil – OIL, PLANT BASED
• Vitamin E (rice- based) – PRESERVATIVE, PLANT BASED
• Mica; Iron Oxides; Titanium Dioxide; may contain Manganese Violet – NATURALLY OCCURRING MINERAL COLORANTS & SUNSCREEN
Which would you rather wear?
Popular colorants in lipsticks are dyes and insoluble dyes known as lakes. They appear on the label like this: “D&C Red No. 21″ or “Calcium Lake’. They are synthetic and highly toxic coloring agents. Carmine is often used in red and pink shades of lipsticks and is a natural substance derived from insects. If you are looking for vegan lipstick, you will want to avoid this ingredient. Stick with mineral colorants instead. Mineral colorants will read like this: “mica, iron oxide, manganese violet”.
For red hot mama lipsticks, here is a tip: reds and cool tones are the most difficult to make using natural colorants and no dyes. So, if you see a red lipstick touting ‘Natural”, read the label first.
A few tips to help ensure you have the safest, most natural lipsticks:
1) Avoid purchasing your makeup at the drugstore.
2) Don’t rely on words such as ‘natural’ or ‘nature’ on the label. Odds are they contain endocrine disrupters, immune system toxicants and even carcinogens, especially if the brand is a big name.
3) Peruse the Environmental Working Group website. They have taken the guesswork out of finding the healthiest personal care products, including lipsticks.
4) Get the Style Essentials shopping guide. It’s portable, fits in your wallet and is darn stylish.
5) Take it a step further and learn how to be an ingredient sleuth with this FREE Guide to Detoxing Your Beauty Products.
Now you know. Read your labels, use your guides and color your lips safely!
Lisa D Liguori is the founder of Style Essentials, an online cosmetics boutique. Style Essentials provides a wealth of resources on healthy beauty as well as mineral makeup tips and guarantees that every product carried is safe and effective. www.StyleEssentials.com
Tags: blog, cosmetics, earth friendly, eco-lifestyle, EcoRico, Giselle Achecar, healthy lifestyle, healthy living, lipstick, Lisa D'Liguori, natural lipstick, organic cooking, organic living, Style Essentials, sustainable